[Histonet] Transcriptionist Productivity (Willis, Donna G.)

Beth.Fye <@t> HCAhealthcare.com Beth.Fye <@t> HCAhealthcare.com
Thu Jul 25 15:29:07 CDT 2013

We have two types of transcriptionists working for our Market Pathology departments.  There are onsite transcriptionists that transcribe and have many other duties such as doing send outs and answering phones.  Because they have other miscellaneous duties, coming up with a standard was difficult, but we did do it.  We compare their characters typed by hour worked.  I add up all the character totals and then divide it between the number of transcriptionists.  This is the average.  Each transcriptionist must be doing at least 80% of the average.  This helps to make sure that one transcriptionist is not doing less than others.

We also have transcriptionists that do transcription from home.  Since they do not have the interruptions or other duties, they have stricter guidelines.  The minimum that they are supposed to complete is 160 characters per hour worked however they often do much more.

I hope this helps, it's not an easy thing to keep track of, I know.  Let me know if you need any more information.

Beth A. Fye, CT (ASCP)
Pathology Technical Manager
HCA Richmond Hospital Laboratories
office:  (804) 228-6564