[Histonet] CLIA Compliance Regulations for histology staff coverage

Kim Donadio one_angel_secret <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Jul 18 18:05:34 CDT 2013

CLIA only regulated labs can have uncertified or licensed personel doing task such as embedding, microtomy and standard H&E staining as CLIA does not regulate those task as Jennifer mentioned. That said, who is going to gross in the biopsies( High complexity task) in the other persons absence? Because that is a CLIA regulated task and needs to be done by someone who meets CLIA 1489, which is the education, AS degree that includes the required biology and chemistry, or 60 hrs of education that includes the required biology and chemistry.

http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/clinical-lab/clia-lab-qualifications.pdf

Kim D

________________________________
From: Jennifer MacDonald <JMacDonald <@t> mtsac.edu>
To: Akemi Allison <akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com>
Cc: Histonet <Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>; histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Histonet] CLIA Compliance Regulations for histology staff coverage

California does not have licensure for histotechs.  To my knowledge
California does not have any regulations concerning who can cut biopsies.
There are many labs that have uncertified people working without the
supervision of certified people.  That being said, is this the only reason
the Pathologist wants the cases sent our during her absence?  He is the
one that has to sign his name to the cases.