[Histonet] RE: Competency for Anatomic and Clinical Pathology

Bernice Frederick b-frederick <@t> northwestern.edu
Thu Jul 18 08:25:52 CDT 2013

We do the blinded sample part. Our manager has us look at an H&E stained slide and we identify the tissue (basic histo) and we are asked what stain is appropriate for the tissue (special stain or IHC)

Bernice Frederick HTL (ASCP)
Senior Research Tech
Pathology Core Facility
ECOGPCO-RL
Robert. H. Lurie Cancer Center
Northwestern University
710 N Fairbanks Court
Olson 8-421
Chicago,IL 60611
312-503-3723
b-frederick <@t> northwestern.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Lee & Peggy Wenk
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:14 AM
To: Michelle Lamphere; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Cc: Elma Cortinas
Subject: Re: [Histonet] RE: Competency for Anatomic and Clinical Pathology

On Wednesday (yesterday), there was a CAP teleconference on the to-be-updated (to be posted end of July 2013) AP checklist.

Someone asked a question about this, mentioning that "someone" from CAP had said competency assessment does not apply to histology.

The reply from the presenter and the CAP "office" people who could also respond was that competency assess does apply to histology, but that some of the 6 components that have to be checked for may not apply for some or most of the histotech jobs. So if a component of competency doesn't apply, then it doesn't have to be evaluated.

Below is part of the standard:

GEN.55500 Competency Assessment Phase II The competency of each person to perform his/her assigned duties is assessed.
NOTE: The competency of each person to perform the duties assigned must be assessed following training before the person performs patient testing.Thereafter, during the first year of an individual's duties, competency must be assessed at least semiannually. After an individual has performed his/her duties for one year, competency must be assessed annually.
Retraining and reassessment
of employee competency must occur when problems are identified with employee performance.
Elements of competency assessment include but are not limited to:
1. Direct observations of routine patient test performance, including, as applicable, patient identification and preparation; and specimen collection, handling, processing and testing 2. Monitoring the recording and reporting of test results, including, as applicable, reporting critical results 3. Review of intermediate test results or worksheets, quality control records, proficiency testing results, and preventive maintenance records 4. Direct observation of performance of instrument maintenance and function checks 5. Assessment of test performance through testing previously analyzed specimens, internal blind testing samples or external proficiency testing samples; and 6. Evaluation of problem-solving skills

These are the 6 components, all of which must be assessed for every task done by histotech - except if it doesn't apply. So, for example, if you are assessing the competency of sectioning, then #2 - reporting of critical values, and #5 - blind testing samples - doesn't apply, so you don't need to assess via #2 and #5. But you would have to assess the person microtoming via the other 4 types of assessment. (But if you are participating in HistoQIP, microtomy is being assess via external proficiency testing sample, so if some of your people's slides were evaluated, you actually have #5 covered for microtomy).

So every aspect of the histotech's job (and the lab assistant) must be assessed by as many of the 6 elements above as apply to each task.

CAP says we must assess competency, Joint Commission says we must assess competency, and CLIA says we must assess competency, and the 6 elements come from CLIA. So we must assess competency.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073

The opinions expressed are mine, and do not reflect on my hospital.