[Histonet] (no subject)

Cynthia Robinson robinsoc <@t> mercyhealth.com
Mon Jul 15 13:09:20 CDT 2013

If you use anything higher than 70% alcohol after the 10% buffered formalin you will have salt precipitate out and cause all kinds of problems. We use 70%, 80%, 90% alcohol in the stations after the formalin and have not seen any issues with our Peloris or the VIPs.

Cindi Robinson HT(ASCP)
Mercy Medical Center
Dunes Medical Laboratories
350 W Anchor Dr
Dakota Dunes SD 57049
phone-712-279-2768
robinsoc <@t> mercyhealth.com

>>> Tony Auge <tony.auge <@t> gmail.com> 07/15/2013 12:47 >>>
I recently was having salt percipitation problems with my VIP proccesor and
we were doing a hot water flush every week. We were starting with 90%
alcohol and heat on the first station and also using 10% NBF. We switched
to 50% in the first station and 70% in the second station. This has not
only got rid of the salt problem but our small tissue biopsies look much
better. I'm not sure what your technicians concerns are about but from my
experience lowering the concentration of the first alcohols is more gentle
for the smaller tissues but it might not processes big fatty specimens as
well. There will be also more reagent carryover from the water introduced
in the first station but is worth it in my opinion. Good Luck!

Tony Auge HTL QIHC (ASCP)
Cell: (651) 373-4768
Email: tony.auge <@t> gmail.com