[Histonet] RE: phobic slides

Walter Benton wbenton <@t> cua.md
Fri Jul 5 12:17:30 CDT 2013

Bruce,

Are you using the slides with the patient and control all in one. If so, is the paint on the top of the slide or the reverse underside? There has been a known problem for years that correlates to what you are describing with the control box slides with paint on the top.

Secondly, have you noticed this phenomenon on one instrument or all? If it is one instrument I would check to make sure the vortex mixers are working properly. This is done easily with a drop of Hematoxylin on the slide and turning the vortex mixers on within the instrument.

Another possibility could be that your instrument may not be lining up with the holes where the slide positions are located. Not knowing which instrument you are using it is hard to say. The benchmark had both slide carousel and dispenser reagent rack moving which often caused misalignment and solutions would not reach the slide, bit instead would be on the drip tray. The XT can have the same problem, but not nearly as often since only the reagents move and not the slides.

As I'm sure you aware slide variability does exist within the pack of slides at times, (I have witnessed this personally with Asian slides specifically, never German or American). It truly depends on the technique being used to charge the slide.

Finally, you may not have seen this with Dako instrumentation since it uses a different mechanism to place reagent on the slide. It uses the drop zones and surfactant to have the solution cover the slide. I would imagine that it is less likely to occur on the Dako unless your slides are truly hydrophobic.

Hope this helps!

Walter Benton HT(ASCP)QIHC
Histology Supervisor
Chesapeake Urology Associates