[Histonet] RE: Immunohistochemistry TAT

Karlisch, Patricia pkarlisch <@t> hmc.psu.edu
Wed Jul 3 08:35:13 CDT 2013

Tony,
  Great information!  We will consider keeping the dewaxing time in mind.  What do you think of hotplate warming?
Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Henwood (SCHN) [mailto:tony.henwood <@t> health.nsw.gov.au]
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 7:08 PM
To: 'Sebree Linda A'; Karlisch, Patricia; 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: RE: Immunohistochemistry TAT

Yes, I agree with most.

But remember a major part of dewaxing sections is to heat the sections to remove as much wax as possible.
This allows the xylene or hydrocarbon dewaxing to be as efficient as it can.
Remember to be wary of drying temperature, too high and some antigens (eg S100, 5D3, CMV) will be adversely affected (see Henwood, A., (2005) "Effect of Slide Drying at 80°C on Immunohistochemistry" J Histotechnol 28(1):45-46).

We have noticed that staining for S100 was weaker on sections that had not been heated for as long as our routine time (30minutes 64oC).

One wonders whether heated detergent dewaxing might be more efficient at removing wax (see Henwood, A. F., Prasad, L., & Bourke, V. M. (2013). "The application of heated detergent dewaxing and rehydration to techniques for the demonstration of fungi: a comparison to routine xylene-alcohol dewaxing" J Histotechnol 36(2):45-50)

It is also possible that different waxes (especially in older, "cured" blocks) have different de-waxing requirements.

Something to consider!

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA) Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA