[Histonet] P21 mouse brain

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Wed Jan 23 15:10:30 CST 2013

I think your processing schedule is too short for a whole mouse brain.
Do you really need to cut the entire brain in one block?
I suggest cutting the brain in half down the midline or in thirds
rostral-caudal and doubling or tripling the times in all steps. Also add
a 100% alc:xylene 1:1 mix step.
A third paraffin is also a good idea, especially since you don't have
vacuum.

As to the problems with cryo sections, first wash the brain in buffer,
then try 10% sucrose cold, then 25-30% cold over night.
How are you freezing the brains? Just putting them in the cryostat is
not sufficient, they must be completely frozen very quickly, then
allowed to equilibrate in the cryostat.
-20C should be fine, is your knife sharp?

Geoff

--