[Histonet] Xylene

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 14:27:53 CST 2013

Unfortunately you are right about xylene being preferentially used although at present the number of labs using it has been reduced to about 60%.
You are also right that, compared with other "traditional" products, xylene produce results that can be considered as the "gold standard", but it is highly toxic.
Due to that toxicity many chemical manufacturers started producing xylene substitutes resulting in 25 D-Limonene derived and 35 alkane derivatives since the late 1970s, BUT neither can produce the same results as xylene.
The only viable substitute producing even better results is a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and mineral oil.
If you want to find more about these and related topics on how to totally eliminate xylene from ALL the tasks in which it is involved now, please go to:
http://www.histosearch.com/rene.html
René J.

From: "White, Lisa M." <Lisa.White3 <@t> va.gov>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:46 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Xylene

I know that Xylene is the number one choice for processing tissues.
Some labs utilize Xylene Substitutes with good results.  Looking for
opinions on not only processing but thoughts on effects on staff.  If
you have articles please send them, would be very grateful.  I have
worked with two HT's in the past that have severe Xylene sensitivity.
Trying to get my ducks in a row as management is considering a change
for our lab.  We currently use a sub and management is wanting to switch
back to Xylene.

Lisa White, HT(ASCP)

Supervisory HT

James H. Quillen VAMC