[Histonet] interview

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 14:36:36 CST 2013

Your issue is a tough one because your candidates are not histotechs so I have to assume that they do not know how to cut.
In my case I NEVER interviewed anybody for my lab who did not know to cut because I always kept a selection of the worse blocks I could find and 20 of them would have to be cut by the candidates to be evaluated by me for section and H&E staining quality.
My question is: why are you trying to hire somebody who does not know anything about histology?
An "economics" issue? Trying to pay less for the "histotech" after training? Please remember that you always will "get what you pay for".
If that is the case I am at a loss about what to ask them other than previous education level because it will always be more probable to being able to teach somebody with some level of education above and beyond high school.
Otherwise you will be replicating what was done about 60 years ago when  pathologists used to "select" secretaries, janitorial service personnel or family members or anybody they would want to train on the job and pay the least amount of money after training.
So I would go with education level, specially something about chemistry and biology to find out if the candidates would be able to learn the chemistry behind tissue processing and special stains.
Prepare a list of questions on these subjects and do not get "blinded by appearances" or "personality" that often have nothing to do with working ethics or learning ability.
René J.

From: Gale Limron <GaleL <@t> unionhospital.org>
To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:02 PM
Subject: [Histonet] interview

Hello,
I just found out today I will be doing 2nd interviews for 3 candidates for a part time Histology position at our hospital on Friday of this week. These candidates are not histotechs but are willing to do online training and take ASCP board exam within 24 months. I would appreciate some help with what questions to ask. I did not attend the 1st interviews but these were done by our lab manager who does not know a lot about what we do I histology.............
Thank you!

Gale Limron CT,HT (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Union Hospital
659 Boulevard
Dover, Ohio 44622
330-343-3311 ext 2562

This e-mail is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete without copying and kindly e-mail a reply to inform us of the mistake in delivery._______________________________________________