FW: [Histonet] TMA Cutting Problems

Jim Jones jim000001 <@t> hotmail.com
Tue Jan 8 10:48:56 CST 2013

Paraplast X-TRA made a world of difference.  We did a test TMA using our tissues which were processed with Richard Allen Type 9. The Arraymold was filled with Paraplast X-TRA. I put it in the oven at 40 C for 4 hours, chilled the TMA block and it cut beautifully.  The process was much easier than I thought.  I guess I should of watched the videos first...  Thanks Hugh.
Thanks for your help everyone.
Jimmy

From: hlukey <@t> msn.com
To: jim000001 <@t> hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [Histonet] TMA Cutting Problems
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 12:20:18 -1000

Jimmy,

I agree with Rene, as the "Section shreds" due to inconsistencies caused by type-9 paraffin polymers not lining up correctly.  The difference in paraffins is demonstrated by it's physical differences in the paraffins, such as different melting points.  If you were going to use it for TMA construction, you are going to want to "Temper" the block more thoroughly: More times, longer durations (ie heat overnight, refrigerator 4 hours, heat 2 hours, refrigerator 2 hours, heat 1 hour, cold 1 hour.  Also remember to never freeze paraffin TMA blocks that cause the paraffin to crack (~-30C).

Since you are new at doing this, I would follow the Arraymold directions (like you stated in another email).   It should work as stated on their web site.

We do TMA builds all the time with Paraplast X-tra without issue.

Hugh
UH Cancer Center
Pathology Shared resource lab manager