[Histonet] Pathologists' Names on H&E Labels

Tom McNemar TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org
Mon Jan 7 04:52:22 CST 2013

We have recently moved to printed/barcoded labels for all of our slides.  Each pathologist has a mnemonic in our LIS (Meditech) that we use when assigning the case.  This mnemonic is picked up and printed on the slide label.

It has been a real help, especially on recuts and stains.  We no longer have to look up a specimen to see who it goes to.  The mnemonic is just the pathologist's initials and I can see no reason why this should be a problem.

Tom McNemar, HT(ASCP)
Histology Co-ordinator
Licking Memorial Health Systems
(740) 348-4163
(740) 348-4166
tmcnemar <@t> lmhealth.org
www.LMHealth.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Roger Heyna
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2013 5:01 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Pathologists' Names on H&E Labels

For years, our lab's information system has been set up so that the name of the pathologist assigned to a case prints on our H&E labels to assist with sorting and grouping the slides after staining. As new pathologists join our team, concerns regarding this practice have come up. The pathologists are concerned that having their names on the slides pose medical-legal liability, and they want the names removed. I've yet to hear clear ramifications involved with having doctors' names on slides. What liability is really involved?

We are a large, urban academic medical center with high specimen volumes. Our pathologists rotate through different sub-specialties, sometimes on a daily basis. For us, having the pathologists' names on the H&E labels seems to be the easiest way to get the H&E's to the correct pathologist.

Are other labs printing the names of the pathologists on their H&E labels? Is anyone aware of any legal risk involved in this practice? Would anyone mind sharing how they sort and divide the slides before submitting them to their pathologists?

Thank you,

Roger Heyna, BS, HTL(ASCP)
Loyola University Medical Center
Maywood, IL

This e-mail, including attachments, is intended for the sole use of the individual and/or entity to whom it is addressed, and contains information from Licking Memorial Health Systems which is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, nor authorized to receive for the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this e-mail and attachments is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message immediately. You may also contact the LMH Process Improvement Center at 740-348-4641. E-mail transmissions cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. Thank you.