[Histonet] Helicobater Pylori QC block and/or slides

Lynette Pavelich LPaveli1 <@t> hurleymc.com
Fri Jan 4 13:47:46 CST 2013

Dr. Cartun is absolutely correct in always trying to use positive tissue that has been processed in your lab using the same process as your patient tissues.

The control blocks offered through the Michigan society have been donated by various laboratories in the state, and have been tested prior to donation. Before mailing a control block, that block is cut and tested again, and the slide accompanies the block to the recipient.
When I donate a block to the society to be used for IHC, I supply the information of what type of fixative and how long it remained in it prior to processing as this can be critical to IHC.

With all due respect, these controls are only offered as an alternative to those who have trouble locating/budget constrictions.

Lynette

Lynette Pavelich, HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Hurley Medical Center
One Hurley Plaza
Flint, MI 48503

ph: 810.262.9948
mobile: 810.444.7966

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] on behalf of Richard Cartun [Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2013 2:20 PM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; Tasha Fraser
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Helicobater Pylori QC block and/or slides

I use gastric resection tissue that is H. pylori positive.  You can use biopsy tissue as well, but I would be careful to not cut-through the tissue in case retrospective testing is ordered.  You should always try to use tissue that is fixed and processed in your own laboratory.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimen Collection Programs
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 545-1596
(860) 545-2204 Fax

>>> Tasha Fraser <tfraser <@t> olympicmedical.org> 1/4/2013 12:37 PM >>>
Does anyone have a good suggestion for a good HP control block or
slides?

Tasha Fraser, HT (ASCP)

Olympic Medical Center

Port Angeles, WA

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended individual(s) named above and may contain confidential, privileged, and/or protected information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, copying, or distribution of its contents is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, you have received this email in error.  If so, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and delete/destroy the original and all copies of this communication.  Also know that Internet e-mail is not secure.  In choosing to communicate with Olympic Medical Center by email you will assume these confidentiality risks.   Internet messages may become corrupted, incomplete, or may incorrectly identify the sender.