[Histonet] Re: Unencased Amoeba Stain

Paula Pierce contact <@t> excaliburpathology.com
Thu Feb 28 08:27:46 CST 2013

Greetings,

once infected tissue is placed in fixative, Acanthamoeba form a double walled encasement that stains nicely with any trichrome stain. Light green works better than aniline blue. The amoeba are large and measure approximately 30 microns.

There are about 100 human corneal cases a year in the U.S. and one year back in the 80s we saw 10 of those cases.

Paula K. Pierce, HTL(ASCP)HT
President
Excalibur Pathology, Inc.
Specializing in Eye Histology

8901 S. Santa Fe, Suite G
Oklahoma City, OK 73139
405-759-3953 Lab
405-759-7513 Fax
www.excaliburpathology.com

________________________________
 From: Bob Richmond <rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com>
To: Tony Reilly <Tony_Reilly <@t> health.qld.gov.au>
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Re: Unencased Amoeba Stain

You're referring I suppose to the "Gomori-Wheatley" modification of
the one step trichrome, used for staining intestinal amoebae. Don't
know if it will work on tissue sections. It has quite a number of
variants.

Once again, I'd advise consulting an eye pathologist.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN