[Histonet] Re: Unencased Amoeba Stain

Tony Reilly Tony_Reilly <@t> health.qld.gov.au
Wed Feb 27 19:58:48 CST 2013

Hi Matt

The Heidenhain's stain is good but if you want one that is prettier try
Gomori's one step trichrome.  I have only ever used it for intestinal
protozoa but I think it would work for all.

regards
Tony

Tony Reilly  B.App.Sc. , M.Sc.
Chief Scientist, Anatomical Pathology
Pathology Queensland-PA Laboratory
Health Services Support Agency | Department of Health

Level 1, Building 15,Princess Alexandra Hospital
Ipswich Road,WOOLLOONGABBA  Qld4102
Ph: 07 3176 2412
Mob: 0402 139411
Fax: 07 3176 2930
Email: tony_reilly <@t> health.qld.gov.au
Web:  www.health.qld.gov.au/qhcss/

>>> Bob Richmond <rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com> 2/28/2013 4:19 am >>>
Matt Brooks asks: >>One of our Neuropath docs is inquiring about a
special stain for unencased
[amoebae] in cornea biopsies. I did a search and Gridley's method was
the best option that appreaded [sic]. Is there someone that could
either verify this stain will work on this organism or let me know
what you stain you are using?<< and René Buesa suggests Heidenhain's
iron hematoxylin.

Corneal ulcers are caused by Acanthamoeba and related species, rather
than by Entamoeba histolytica. Google >>amoeba corneal stain<< - some
references suggest a fluorescent stain such as calcofluor white, if
you have access to a fluorescence microscope.

Iron hematoxylins provide exquisite nuclear detail, but are
challenging to set up for the first time (I've done it), and are not
specific.

Periodic acid Schiff (PAS) is often used to demonstrate the glycogen
in Entamoeba histolytica trophozoites, but I don't know if the other
pathogenic amoebae contain glycogen.

My advice would be to ask one of the academic eye pathologists. My
choice would be Dr. Hans Grossniklaus at Emory, but there are a good
many more. And remember you'll need to find a control slide.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality is not waived or lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/received in error.
Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this email is strictly prohibited.  The information contained in this email, including any attachment sent with it, may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.
If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone collect on Australia +61 1800 198 175 or by return email.  You should also delete this email, and any copies, from your computer system network and destroy any hard copies produced.
If not an intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute or take any action(s) that relies on it; any form of disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this email is also prohibited.
Although Queensland Health takes all reasonable steps to ensure this email does not contain malicious software, Queensland Health does not accept responsibility for the consequences if any person's computer inadvertently suffers any disruption to services, loss of information, harm or is infected with a virus, other malicious computer programme or code that may occur as a consequence of receiving this email.
Unless stated otherwise, this email represents only the views of the sender and not the views of the Queensland Government.