[Histonet] Chemicals with no expiration

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Wed Feb 27 13:39:29 CST 2013

Oh, BTW, we do label our distilled water with prep and expiration date when it is put in bottles for use on the bench. It is not sterile and will grow stuff if left too long. Usually we use it up quickly but it is good practice to know when any reagent is made and expires. We give it a 4 week expiration.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Kathleen Bess
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:21 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Chemicals with no expiration

Hi all,

First time using histonet- I read earlier that reagents/chemicals used in the lab with no expiration date are to be labeled with an expiration date of 5 years after having been opened. Is there literature on that? I need to update my policy and prodedure for CAP. Also, this maysaound silly, but do you label your DI water too?

Thanks in advance,

Kathy Fernandez
Lead Histotech
Saddleback Memorial Medical Center