[Histonet] Gram stain on decalcified bone

Shelly Christenson christen <@t> vet.k-state.edu
Tue Feb 26 15:11:21 CST 2013

I have a pathologist that wants a gram stain on decalcified bone. We are currently using the Twort's gram stain and the stain did not stain the bacteria in the bone sample, but the control tissue did stain positive. I was wondering if the acid in the decal solution could have affected the bacteria in the bone sample. I'm not for sure how long the bone was decaled, the H&E doesn't look like it was over decaled.
Does anyone know of a gram stain that will work on decalcified bone?

Thank you for your help,

Shelly Christenson HT(ASCP)
Veterinary Diagnostic Lab
Mosier Hall L-216