[Histonet] streaking when cutting

Clare Thornton CThornton <@t> dahlchase.com
Mon Feb 25 09:24:02 CST 2013

We've had one tech complaining of streaks when cutting, across the paraffin.  It's noticeable when cutting, although not clearly noticeable microscopically.  This tech has tried everything, tightening and re-tightening of microtome parts, trying other people's chucks or blade holders, new blades, new lots of blades...everything we can think of. It doesn't appear to be the microtome.  Last week, I noticed the same streaking occuring on my sections.  No one else (we have 9 microtomes total) has complained of this issue.  Could this be a paraffin problem?  The streaks look like when you might have a bit of paraffin debris on your blade and cut a new section; however, this is occuring with brand new blades, almost every block.  Any ideas?  Thank you.

Clare J. Thornton, HTL(ASCP)QIHC
Assistant Histology Supervisor
Dahl-Chase Diagnostic Services
417 State Street, Suite 540