[Histonet] Safranin O staining

Victor Wong vhlwong <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 21:37:35 CST 2013

Hi Liz,

Thank you for your response and your invaluable experience in processing such samples.  I'll try manual processing on next batch of samples.

I am new to handle these samples.  There would be a lot of cell debris during culture mixing with small pellet and this may be much bigger than the pellet.  May I know how to get rid of it?

Someone suggested to stain the pellet with eosin and place it in folded Kimwipe for processing.  Is routine automatic staining helpful as we don't have a oven to melt paraffin nearby?  We need to take a 30-minute walk to the lab for processing.

BTW, I don't have access right to the paper. Anyway, the staining pictures on the website are very nice.

Once, thank you for your help.

Best Regards,
Victor

From: Elizabeth Chlipala <liz <@t> premierlab.com>
To: Victor Wong <vhlwong <@t> yahoo.com>; Tony Henwood (SCHN) <tony.henwood <@t> health.nsw.gov.au>; "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 11:37 PM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Safranin O staining

We have processed and stained these types of samples before.  We do not embed the pellets in agarose prior to processing.  We dye them with eosin and place them in a tea bag and process on a very short cycle - 10 minutes per station, embed section and stain.  We have stained with safranin O, alcian blue, toluidine blue and IHC for collagen II.  The safranin O comes out just fine as well as the others. We just receive the samples so I do not know anything about the preparation, collection and fixation.  It possibly could be your construct, we have processed hundreds of these samples and the staining intensity and patterns do change.  I expect this is due to the type of preparation.  If you want to see pictures of the staining, you can go to this website:

http://bioreagents.lifemapsc.com/products/purestem-chondropkg-4d20-8

or this paper:

Sternberg H, Murai JT, Erickson IE, Funk WD, Das S, Wang Q, Snyder E, Chapman KB, Vangsness CT Jr, West MD. 2012 A human embryonic stem cell-derived clonal progenitor cell line with chondrogenic potential and markers of craniofacial mesenchyme. Regen Med. 7(4):481-501

Liz

Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308