[Histonet] standard protocol

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Fri Feb 15 10:20:45 CST 2013

Sounds like a researcher passed on something they got from someone else, who got it 3rd hand. It is obviously incomplete so the best course is to contact the people in charge of the study and find out what they want (or THINK they want!). Ask them for the literature or actual protocol they are basing their request on so you can see it for yourself.

Of course this is a common problem when dealing with researchers who know nothing about histology methods. Or maybe the request was written by an associate who was just copying boilerplate from some other study. They just need to be educated and my experience is that they are usually VERY grateful for the education. It helps them design studies better and eliminates a lot of headaches and future embarrassments when their studies fall behind or fail because they were ignorant of the process.

Tim Morken
UCSF Pathology

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Histopatty
Sent: Friday, 15 February 2013 3:02 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] standard protocol

We are getting instructions from a pharmaceutical company who needs slides, with instructions stating "sections should be floated per standard protocol, xylene dipped from 3 minutes and dried for 10 minutes."  I'm reaching out to those of you who routinly deal with research protocols and wondering is the "standard protocol" the normal float, dri, melt?

Patricia Eneff
for
Kay Pierce

Please respond to sharon.pierce <@t> hcahealthcare.com if possilbe.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Children's Hospital at Westmead

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.