[Histonet] Re: grossing tools

O'Donnell, Bill billodonnell <@t> catholichealth.net
Wed Feb 13 08:39:46 CST 2013

The book exists - I've seen it. I think it was written by some guy who
gives management seminars. But it mysteriously vanished - probably taken
by aliens to de-evolutionize their home planet. That's my theory.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Bob
Richmond
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:02 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: grossing tools

Bruce Gapinsk HT (ASCP), Chief Histologist, Marin Medical Laboratories,
PathGroup SF asks:

>>Histonians, I'm sure we are not the only histology lab that deals with

>>thick grossed specimens. Has anyone tried the new gross tools by
>>Sakura? Or anything else that can cut ONE nickel thick. Tired of
>>reprocessing.<<

This grumpy old (74) pathologist would be happy to try them out, though
I can cut freehand and almost never have a block reprocessed, but the
skill eludes a lot of the young folks. Do you have a Web link for these
tools?

The problem would be getting a lab manager to spring for them. The
Laboratory Manager's Handy-Dandy Guide to Making Life Hard for the
Pathologist (I'm sure  there is such a book, though I haven't actually
seen one) specifies that grossing is a ritual requiring only a basic set
of tools.

One lab expected me to gross with an athame and chalice. I tried to
explain to them that OSHA and the CAP would not permit me to gross
skyclad.

(You guys know I NEVER exaggerate.)

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist