[Histonet] Stain to ID eosinophils specifically

Amos Brooks amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 16:34:41 CST 2013

Hi Colleen,
     Although I was not able to locate the specific reference you listed,
the two stains that come to mind are Lendrum's Carbol Chromotrope and Congo
Red. While they are not *really* specific for eosinophils, they do stain
eosinophils well. It is fairly easy to differentiate an eosinophil from
amyloid in Congo Red. I am including a link to Eastwood & Cole's Congo Red
because the procedure specifically mentions eosinophils, but I have used
Highman's (the more common version) to identify them. Of the two the Congo
Red techniques seem to work better which is great since they are a bit
easier (& less messy) than the carbol chromotrope.

     Here are a couple of references for both:
http://stainsfile.info/StainsFile/stain/cell/lendrum-carbolchromotrope.htm
and
http://stainsfile.info/StainsFile/stain/amyloid/congoeastwood.htm

Good Luck,