[Histonet] RE: Her2neu controls

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Tue Feb 12 12:12:31 CST 2013

First of all I want to state that I'm not a clinical lab, I'm a research lab, but we have performed Her2 IHC.  An appropriate control block should contain tissue that is processed in your lab.  I would try to prepare a block that contained multiple tissue samples (at least two) one 1+ and one 3+.  Ideally I would use 3, negative, 1+ and 3+.  If you are using just a 3+ as a control how can you be certain that you are able to consistently stain 1+ samples (meaning is your test sensitive enough).  I like the use of tissue that is negative too, this helps rule out false positives.  We also like to use negative tissue or tissue components during the protocol development process.  Cell blocks provided by the vendor are ok in a pinch, but ideally the samples for controls should be processed in your lab. This same principle should also be used during protocol development and validation.  You need to look at tissue with varing staining intensities from no staining to 3+ staining.  Just my two cents.

Liz

Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308
(303) 682-3949 office
(303) 881-0763 cell
(303) 682-9060 fax
liz <@t> premierlab.com

Ship to address:

Premier Laboratory, LLC
1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, CO 80504
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Vickroy, Jim [Vickroy.Jim <@t> mhsil.com]
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013 3:53 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Her2neu controls

When we order the antibody from Ventana they include some control slides with tissues that are 0, 1+, 2+, and 3+.   Currently the lab where we have sent our Her2neu's to be done only uses a 3+ control.  I realize that a control that had several levels of staining would be ideal but I am trying to find out how other diagnostic labs are handling their controls for Her2neu.
Thanks

James Vickroy BS, HT(ASCP)

Surgical  and Autopsy Pathology Technical Supervisor
Memorial Medical Center
217-788-4046

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.