[Histonet] FW: Automated Microtome question

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 10:45:22 CST 2013

It is a documented fact that manual microtomes can produce, with time and more on certain histotechs than in others, a repetitive motion affection BUT there is no mandatory or compulsory legislation about purchasing "automated" microtomes to "prevent" the problem.
That is an internal issue for each lab and its HRS departments. Usually histotechs with the affection are assigned tasks not requiring movements that can exacerbate their condition.
René J.

From: Thomas Jasper <Thomas.Jasper <@t> deaconess.com>
To: "'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:59 AM
Subject: [Histonet] FW: Automated Microtome question

See below.
Thanks,
tj

________________________________
From: Thomas Jasper
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:56 AM
To: 'histonet-request <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: Automated Microtome question

Hi Everyone,

Question - Does anyone know if there is a regulation in place (OSHA, i.e.) about having automated microtome(s) available to histologists if requested?  In other words; I was under the impression that after 2005 (I think...) if someone wanted an automated microtome the institution they work at is mandated to provide it to them.

This is not to say that folks must use an automated microtome; just that it's there or would be obtained for them.  I thought I'd heard something about this a few years ago.  With the repetitive motion issues today I was thinking this was a regulation of some sort.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Tom Jasper

Thomas Jasper HT (ASCP) BAS
AP/CP Supervisor
Deaconess Hospital
Evansville, IN

they are addressed.

states them to be the views of Deaconess Health System.

originator of the message.