[Histonet] Could these samples have been saved?

Johnson, Kevin KJohnson <@t> med.miami.edu
Fri Feb 8 12:00:00 CST 2013

Dear all,

During an overnight tissue processing cycle, a malfunction occurred such that the sample basket was suspended in mid-air for several hours at probably the worst spot in which to do so---after the final absolute ethanol of the dehydration series. I continued the process manually in the morning, and carried it through blocking and attempted sectioning.  However, the samples (mouse skin and fat) had been converted to uncuttable rocks.

In hindsight, should I have attempted to rehydrate and reprocess these samples in an attempt to glean even minimal information from them?  Or is there no way to unmummify a mummy?

Regards,

Kevin Johnson
University of Miami
Diabetes Research Institute