[Histonet] microcalcifications in breast stereo biopsies

Gino Bianchi gibi55 <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 19:31:55 CST 2013

Hi everybody. I´m a pathologist involved in Pathology residents  training at the Universidad Central de Venezuela, Caracas, Venezuela. Sometimes, we can´t demonstrate the presence of microcalcifications in stereotactic breast biopsies, in spite of observing them in the paraffin blocks ( x-ray) . The lab technicians cut the blocks at 50 microns interval , doing routinely 3 levels ,and  sectioning all the tissue when we get no micros in the slides. We have reviewed the no calcium slides with polarized light without success, and all we got is a sense of frustration.

Any advice would be welcome, as well as your processing/sectioning protocols

Thank you in advance,

Gino Italo Bianchi
Pathologist
Breast Pathology