[Histonet] QIHC

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 28 07:30:01 CST 2013

All ASCP tests (HT/HTL, HT/MLT, CT, PB, QIHC, QLS, etc.) are all built the
same.

All are multiple choice questions, with 4 choices, one of which is the most
correct. (I won't say only 1 is correct, but if 1 is always correct or
almost always correct except in weird circumstances, and another one MIGHT
be correct under a very strange, weird, rarely to happen circumstance, then
you are to pick the one that is always (or almost always) correct.

Each question has been rated on degree of difficulty from 100-999 points,
with 400 points being passing. But the points don't really mean anything,
ASCP could have rated the questions A through Z, with J+ or I minus minus
being passing. So a 321 point question is slightly harder than a 319, but
much easier than a 403. And 721 is really hard. The person starts out with
questions on the easy to just barely passing side. If they get that one
correct, they get a slightly harder question. If they get that correct, they
get one even more slightly hard. When they get one wrong, they get a
slightly easier question. Whatever the last question degree of difficulty
is, that determines if pass or not - 400 and above = pass; 399 or below =
fail.

The topics of the questions are randomly given out, but always the test will
end up within the percent of topics as indicated under the study guide
(e.g., QIHC has 10% of the questions on general immuno, but 30% on immuno
staining).

There are three taxonomy levels of questions, also:
- Tax I = memorize
- Tax II = troubleshoot (what went wrong); lab math; interpreting charts or
photos
- Tax III = problem-solve (how to fix problem); could include some charts or
photos

So all the ASCP tests are more than just memorizing the reagents, or the
colors, or the steps. It's being able to figure out if something (stain,
results, fixation, whatever) is good or not, and if it isn't - why, and if
it isn't - what can you do to fix it now, or what are you going to do
different next time so it doesn't happened again.

Good luck to anything taking any ASCP certification or qualification exam in
2014!

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS