[Histonet] Microtome Service

Weems, Joyce K. Joyce.Weems <@t> emoryhealthcare.org
Tue Dec 17 17:03:02 CST 2013

Hello Folks,

I know that you know that every time someone mentions Leitz or Leica problems with a microtome or a cryotstat, I send out the name of Klaus Dern, my good friend for so many years I've lost count.

I want to let you know about something he can do that save your labs a lot of money, if you want service instead of replacing expensive parts because the one present on the newer microtomes can not be repaired.

For the following microtomes,
Leica RM2125
Leica 2030 Biocut
Leica/Jung 2035
Leica CM-1850 Cryostat
Sakura SRM200

The advance mechanism can not be repaired, according to the company. Klaus can retool or whatever you call it,  the advance mechanism. Excessive play can develop in the advance mechanism, causing chunking of the block and the agony and gnashing of teeth. The company will tell you the whole part needs to be replaced or perhaps you even need to get a new microtome.

Micro Precision Instruments Co (none other than Klaus Dern) can repair the instrument for about half of what the new part would cost.  The best thing about the repair is that it becomes adjustable and can forever work with little maintenance.

I just wanted to share this with you - I am not the vendor. I just want to let you know of something that can help in these trying times of budget constraints and replacing equipment. He can repair the microtomes out of the cryostats. You can remove and send to him. He has loaners (I asked).   I just had a cryostat repaired. He is close enough to me that he can come on site and I don't need to ship.

Here is his info for those who might be interested.
Phone: 706-635-8840
Fax: 706-635-3074
Klaus.Dern44 <@t> gmail.com

Hope you find this helpful!

Hope everyone is enjoying the hustle and bustle of the season. Merry Christmas, ya'll!!   j

Joyce Weems
Pathology Manager
678-843-7376 Phone
678-843-7831 Fax
joyce.weems <@t> emoryhealthcare.org

www.saintjosephsatlanta.org
5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Road
Atlanta, GA 30342

This e-mail, including any attachments is the property of Saint Joseph’s Hospital and is intended for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).  It may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message, and reply to the sender regarding the error in a separate email.

prohibited.