[Histonet] Freezer for tissue storage

Truscott, Tom ttruscot <@t> vetmed.wsu.edu
Fri Dec 13 15:57:20 CST 2013

We have both upright and chest and both have their pros and cons. We have had trouble with electrical circuits which aren't matched to the load that these freezers can put on them. An electrician told us that it can put an tremendous strain on the freezer motor if the circuit isn't right and two or three freezers start up at the same time- leading to shortened life of the freezer. So- make sure a good electrician is involved in your freezer set-up. Tom T

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Hugh Luk
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2013 1:41 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; Richard.Cartun <@t> hhchealth.org
Subject: [Histonet] Freezer for tissue storage

Dr. Cartun,

Agreed, chest freezers have less frost/door problems/sealing issues and seem to live longer. Stand-ups maximize footprint/space efficiency and allow for easier, horizontal-rack pulling for archiving and inventory.  Due to volume and space constraints, the UH cancer center buys stand-ups.  We have over a hundred.

My personal caution is for the newer Thermo-Revco freezers, especially the ultra-low Thermo UXF in mostly 24.1 cu. ft..  Perhaps this is just our bad luck but an abnormal number failed (7/9), and three were within the first year.  The unfortunate units were purchased over the last four years.  Our bio-engineer has asked us to avoid buying Revco (after endorsing Revco/Harris for many years) and buy New Brunswick/Eppendorf or Sanyo ULT freezers, for the immediate future.

We're not endorsing Sanyo or New Brunswick, we're just staying away from a brand that has recently given us trouble.  Hopefully, it is different in your area, as Hawaii has logistical issues that may have exacerbated this issue (maybe it was that looong boat trip)?

Just my $0.02.  (And $0.02 will not buy anything, anymore.)

Hugh
UHCC path shared resource manager
Honolulu, HI