[Histonet] RE: Nails for fungal stain

Goins, Tresa TGoins <@t> mt.gov
Fri Dec 13 11:38:15 CST 2013

Formalin does not affect carbohydrate structure so when the nail is fixed shouldn't matter.
The KOH digests proteins so no deleterious effect on the fungal carbohydrate pre- or post-fixation.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Laurie Colbert
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2013 10:01 AM
To: Histonet Post (histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu)
Subject: [Histonet] Nails for fungal stain

Our lab receives toenails, and we routinely do an H&E stain and a PAS stain for fungus.  We receive the nails fresh, and when they are grossed they are placed directly into a purchased nail softening solution that is mainly potassium hydroxide before being placed on the tissue processor.  My question:  Would the potassium hydroxide have any bearing on the results of the fungal PAS since the nails are not fixed in formalin before going into the potassium hydroxide?

Laurie Colbert, HT (ASCP)