[Histonet] RE: looking for a product

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Thu Dec 12 09:55:00 CST 2013

Lee, we are currently working with a company that is developing a "SmartBx" mold specifically for prostate cores - it works with a "receiver" for the bx at the bx suite which holds the bx in a linear trough. Then that "receiver" is put into an embedding mold with corresponding troughs for perfect alignment and flat embedding. And it is sized for minimal trimming.  It still needs some refinement but will probably be available in a few months.

One caveat...it seems it has to be used with the company's prostate Bx system and may not work as well with other systems.

They have a website, but only very minimal information right now.

http://www.uc-care.com/products/smartbx

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy and Neuromuscular Special Studies
UC San Francisco Medical Center
San Francisco, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Bond, Lee
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:30 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] looking for a product

Hi All-

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase histology base molds in a long, thin rectangular shape? We would like to be able to get more cuts of a prostate biopsy onto a single slide. We currently are using this shape of a base mold and having to manually trim excess wax (dangerous and time consuming):

_________________________

/                       /

/  ******************   /

/  *                *   /

/  *                *   /

/  *                *   /

/  *                *   /

/  *                *   /

/  ******************   /

/_______________________/

We would like to find base molds shaped like this, so that we eliminate the need to manually trim each block:

_________________________

/                       /

/                       /

/                       /

/  ******************   /

My staff would be incredibly appreciative for any help in finding this product!

Thanks all-

Lee Bond, MT(ASCP)

SFHC Lab

Topeka, KS