[Histonet] Amended Reports

LeAnn Lang llang <@t> aipathology.com
Tue Dec 3 09:42:11 CST 2013

I need your help with the following situation.

We receive specimens from an outside hospital and the specimen request
slip and specimen container are given the accession number at that
location.  Once it is received in our laboratory, we process the
specimen.  A situation came up recently where the outside hospital mixed
up the paperwork on three cases (so the wrong request slip was placed
with the wrong specimen container, but it was not caught in our
laboratory because they did not all come together).  Anyhow, long story
short, the original reports got reported as:

The specimen request slip is labeled as "Joe Smith" and the specimen
container is labeled as "Jane Doe".  The specimen consists of........

After the reports were finalized, and sent back to the clinician, the
mistake was identified.  We made amended reports on our end to correct
everything per CAP guidelines.  The problem we are now running into is
that the Medical Records dept is telling us that we are in HIPAA
violation by having the two patient names on the report.  I see their
point, but don't know any other way of doing this.

Anyone else ever deal with a situation like this?  If so, how do you
handle it?

Thank you!

LeAnn

LeAnn Lang