[Histonet] Unstained slides

Tom McNemar TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org
Thu Aug 29 04:48:52 CDT 2013

We cut a decent number of unstained as well.  Mostly the tiny biopsies and cores and we do end up using most of these. I personally see no reason to cut unstained slides on anything else.  Since you still have to go back and cut controls, it doesn't really save that much time but of course, it does save tissue.

Tom McNemar, HT(ASCP)
Histology Co-ordinator
Licking Memorial Health Systems
(740) 348-4163
(740) 348-4166
tmcnemar <@t> lmhealth.org
www.LMHealth.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Beth Brinegar
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:47 PM
To: Martha Ward-Pathology
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Unstained slides

Martha,

I have had experience in three different labs.  The unstained slides can
pile up quickly, especially when you are using charged slides that are
"just in case" slides for sendouts, IHC, etc.  For core biopsies (breasts,
fine needles, prostate, etc.) we cut levels and put up at least five of the
"in between sections" to keep on hand in case.  We maybe use these slides
10 percent of the time and toss the rest after 3-4 weeks.  It can seem
wasteful, however if you have a small core, you must save precious tissue.

Beth Brinegar HTL(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Mercy Medical Center
Cedar Rapids, IA 52403