[Histonet] Certified HT salary

Jon Hannasch jon2038433 <@t> maricopa.edu
Sat Aug 24 03:29:32 CDT 2013

I'm new to the histology field. I currently have my first job as a certified HT histotech. I have worked 9 months as a histotech and currently make $19/hour which comes out to $39k a year. I understand a new histotech with no experience will make less than people with experience. I was wondering what pay increases I can expect over time. When I went to school I was told certified histotechs can make $25 an hour. This was before Obamacare was passed and I was just wondering what kind of raises i can expect over time? I heard a lot of companies have been limiting raises (even eliminating raise increases this year) because the higher ups are unsure the financial impact Obamacare will have. I guess I have 2 main questions: 1.) what kind of pay increase can i expect to get over time. Is $25 an hour still normal? And 2.) should i ask for a raise from my company after I have worked there for a year if they announce that they are not giving out raises this year (when I started in 2013 they told EVERYONE at the company that they were not getting their annual raise because they don't know the impact of Obamacare in 2014 so I am assuming in 2014 they will do the same). Any input would be greatly appreciated. We are a small urology lab with only 2 histotechs. I enjoy where I work and could see me working there until i get my HTL but I don't want to be taken advantage of while I am there. The experience I've gained is definitely helpful and if I don't get a raise after a year it's not a deal breaker but if I can make more money I would like to make as much money as I am qualified to make.