[Histonet] Cautery-Like Artefact

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Tue Aug 20 07:45:26 CDT 2013

I have had experience with various artifacts with rapid,  microwave- assisted processing, including where it does resemble cautery artifact (  especially with skin, other highly polar tissue types, and liver cores) . It seems to have to do with the mechanism of heating with microwaves and the tissue types.  After I did a little research on the physics of MW energy and the amount of resistance & heat generation to MW energy of different of tissues, ( related to polarity-water),  I was able to draw conclusions about causes and effects on different tissues. Sometimes people want to work with this as with conventional processing- but it works differently, and has different variables. The thickness and surface area are even more important, but also the MW cycles and other fine details of the energy/heat during the program have to be optimized. I recall you can view this in the operating system of the instrument in a graph, and I was able to work with the vendor to assist with the task of refining the programs.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC