[Histonet] Isopropyl Alcohol in the histology lab

Teri Johnson TJohnson <@t> gnf.org
Tue Aug 13 13:59:39 CDT 2013

Teri:
The automatic coverslipper will wok on oven dried stained sections. I used them on a Sakura film coverslipper and my lab was in Miami Beach, and you do not more humid than that!
Xylene is the one weakening the immunoreactivity the most but I have tested the IPA and the weakening does not exist although there are so many antibodies that some may weaken the issue is: will the weakening affect the diagnosis or just will produce a weaker reaction? That you would have to test further.
But the bottom line is tha xylene should be eliminated.
René  J.

Hi Rene,

Have they changed the film coverslipper technology? When I used it years ago, you needed xylene to drop on to the slides to affix the film to them.
The film coverslipper is not an option for us, we need the optical resolution that regular coverslips give for slide scanning.

~Teri