[Histonet] RE: Cryostat recommendations

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Fri Aug 9 12:09:45 CDT 2013

Toni, we use the Thermo NX70 Cryostar and really like it. It is has a comfortable ergonomic shape, touch screen controls, a debris vacuum and an elevator for different sized people. The refrigeration system is excellent and cools the chuck and knife separately. The decon is easy and uses a solution (sanosil) that is vaporized inside the cabinet automatically nightly. We use it for kidney FS for IF staining and muscle FS for histochem,  not regular FS for OR.

Tim Morken
UCSF Medical Center
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] on behalf of Rathborne, Toni [trathborne <@t> somerset-healthcare.com]
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2013 4:44 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Cryostat recommendations

Happy Friday everyone!
I'm looking for some feedback on cryostat preferences. We are replacing one of ours now and will be evaluating a few before making a final decision. The 2 I've looked into so far are the Leica 1860 and the HM525 by Thermo Scientific. I'm interested in the UV feature that many now offer too and want to know what your experiences are. Does it require extra maintenance? Is it costly to repair/replace?  Do either of these models (or previous versions) have any known problems? They both look very nice on the outside, but are they made of durable materials internally? Thanks in advance for your responses, and have a great weekend!

Toni