[Histonet] RE: no subject) (Sanjeet Dhirubhai)

Mayer,Toysha N TNMayer <@t> mdanderson.org
Wed Aug 7 12:44:28 CDT 2013

The forceps and paraffin knives that I use are very personal.  I have big hands, and some of the smaller ones make me ache after a while.  As long as the user is comfortable with the instrument, then they should use what works.  Making changes such as how the cassettes are placed in the chamber, having multiple forceps available and someone to clear off the cold plate would help.
I like long, smooth, fine tipped Cushing forceps to embed with.  Mine were priced at $75.00 a pair a few years ago, and my students only get to see them.  My knife is actually a denture knife from Buffalo dental.  It is about the size of a paring knife, but with a short (1 inch) blade.  They fit good in my hands and I don't have to worry about aches after an hour of usage.
Multiple pairs of forceps available and time to perfect a technique goes a long way in embedding.
Hope this helps.

Toysha N. Mayer, MBA, HT(ASCP)
Instructor/Education Coordinator
Program in Histotechnology
School of Health Professions
MD Anderson Cancer Center
713-563.3481

Message: 9
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 06:04:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: Sanjeet Dhirubhai <asanjeet <@t> yahoo.com>
Subject: [Histonet] (no subject)
To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu"

?Hi,

I am trying lean up at the embedding system. We have issues where staff have their own preference in regards to working on a specific forceps. I am trying to standardize this process and eliminate the hassle of having different types of forceps. Can anyone help me. Thanks Regards, ?
Sanjeet Dhirubhai - Supervisor Histology ?MLT????