[Histonet] Performing Giemsa stain and AB PAS on single slide

Joy Aswigue-Alatan msjaswigue.alatan <@t> gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 10:02:12 CDT 2013

  We need your feedback regarding our new protocol on special stain.
Previously, our protocol for gastric biopsy was to cut 2 sections, one
section on each slide and stain with giemsa and ABPAS respectively and it's
working properly. Now, our new supervisor suggested that we mount 2
sections on single slide i.e. one section on the uppermost part of the
slide and the other section on the the bottom part of the slide. First, we
stain the other section in a jar containing low level of giemsa solution,
we hold the giemsa stain up to  water. afterwards we invert all the slides
(20 slides per rack) and stain the other section in another jar for abpas.
After ABPAS, we dehydrate all the slide at the same. Then after the last
xylene, we invert all the slides again and put them in the cover slipping
machine. Already,  all staff who performed this new protocol complain about
cross-contamination, excessive exposure to xylene fumes when inverting the
slides, too many things to consider like maintaining low level of solution.
However, the staff don't want to talk because the supervisor won't listen.
We are a busy lab, we perform special stain on average of 100 blocks a day.
Our previous protocol is very straightforward and easy to perform. Our
Pathologist according to our supervisor were happy but for the performing
staff they found it too complicated.
Is there anyone in Histology who have done this procedure before, we
appreciate any feedback you have regarding pros and cons of this procedure.

Many thanks for your help.

Joy Aswigue
Medical laboratory scientist
Auckland New Zealand