[Histonet] Slide dehydration After Staining Tissue Falling Off

Christopher Jacobs CJacobs <@t> clinpath.com
Mon Aug 5 12:53:21 CDT 2013

Histonetters,

Recently my lab has been experiencing a significant occurrence of tissue falling off our IHC slides. We are looking at a variety a factors and I have been watching how some technicians dehydrate their slides after staining. We are running Ventana IHC stainers, so we remove the oil based liquid coverslip in a weak solution of Dawn and then run the slides down alcohols into xylene. Some technicians are very aggressive in their agitation of the slides. It is almost comical how much sloshing around in the reagents they do. How can I get these people to ease up? Does anyone have any protocols on how many dips it takes in each reagent to properly dehydrate slides?

Also, some of the other issues we are looking at causing tissue falling off the slides are; tapping slides to remove water, not double-dipping slides, lotion on hands, over temperature, and the brand of charged slides we are using. Can anyone think of any other factors to look at?

Thanks!

"CJ" Christopher P. Jacobs, HT QIHC(ASCP)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This message is confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately, delete the contents of this message and do not use it for any purpose.