[Histonet] Two Patient Identifiers on slides

Tom McNemar TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org
Thu Aug 1 04:43:21 CDT 2013

Our blocks have a barcode to the left then two lines of text.  The top line is the accession number in a large font the name below it.  The name is printed in a smaller font but it is easily readable.

Tom McNemar, HT(ASCP)
Histology Co-ordinator
Licking Memorial Health Systems
(740) 348-4163
(740) 348-4166
tmcnemar <@t> lmhealth.org
www.LMHealth.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Pratt, Caroline
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:14 PM
To: Joe W. Walker, Jr.; Michelle Moore; Jean Wood; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Two Patient Identifiers on slides

My understanding was the same as Joe's and at least to date, that is what we have presented during survey and it has been deemed acceptable.  However, we are accredited by TJC not CAP.  My question to those of you who are providing 2 patient identifiers on blocks?  How do you make it fit?  If anyone could scan an image to Caroline.Pratt <@t> uphs.upenn.edu I would greatly appreciate it!  As of now, we have the unique patient accession number and a barcode with the accession number as well.  We are in our survey window I would like to be sure we are compliant.

One more question, if you label slides and blocks with a name and DOB from the requisition and find out during insurance validation that the name is misspelled or the DOB is inaccurate, how do you handle that?  Thanks for your help.