[Histonet] Salary and recruiting for EM techs

Browning, Jeffrey A. jbro22 <@t> lsuhsc.edu
Thu Apr 25 14:25:00 CDT 2013

Greetings,

We're evaluating salary for our EM technologists in preparation for hiring and are having a difficult time getting comparable information. Any input to the following questions would be greatly appreciated, and my response to them is included below:

1) What salary range does your facility offer for EM techs?
2) Is your facility private/public, hospital/reference lab/research lab?
3) Are they specialized histotechs or do they have their own job designation?
4) What are your hiring criteria?
5) Have you been able to recruit individuals with EM experience or train on-the-job?
6) Do the EM techs perform the full workload of processing, cutting, scoping, and photography?

At our facility:

1) Currently employ 2 EM techs mid to high $40K (very top of our current salary range)
2) Pathology lab within state-run hospital
3) Employed as research/clinical associates (to distinguish from routine histotechs)
4) Lab science AS or general science BS required, otherwise similar to histotechs (license not required in LA)
5) Both from academic research backgrounds with advanced degrees--one with prior EM experience and MSA certification, one trained on-the-job
6) Perform processing, cutting, scoping, and photography with great degree of independence

Thanks!

Jeff Browning, HTL(ASCP)

Technical Director, Anatomic Pathology

LSU Health Science Center - Shreveport