[Histonet] Sakura film coverslipper

Lori Harris lharris <@t> samhealth.org
Wed Apr 17 11:31:05 CDT 2013

Marcellyn,

I agree with Rene. I have always worked in Histology Labs that have used the Sakura tape coverslipper and have not had any problems. If the amount of xylene that is dispensed is adequate, you should have no problems with the coverslips peeling off over time.

Lori A. Harris, HT (ASCP)
Histology Section Lead
GSRMC Pathology Lab
3600 NW Samaritan Drive
Corvallis, OR 97330

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 6:45 AM
To: MARCELLYN A. STONE; 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Sakura film coverslipper

Personally I prefer film coverslipper and used the one by Sakura.
Film coverslipping is faster and cheaper and, as long as the amount of dispensed xylene to adhere the film to the stained section is correct, the film will not come off after time.
The other "disadvantage" some pathologists point against film is that some contend that the photomicrographs are of less quality which is NOT true. The film thickness, flatness and transparency is comparable to that of any glass coverslip.
Additionally sometimes if quite difficult to remove a glass coverslip in the even of needing to restain a section, but with film coverslip the operation is simple involving the dissolution of the film with acetone.
René J.