[Histonet] Isopentane storage-the polling is open

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 16 19:33:14 CDT 2013

Definitely make it explosion-proof.

See the following article by Robert Skinner in Sakura's Histo-Logic.
http://www.sakura-americas.com/histologic/pdf/03_may.pdf

He had an explosion in a freezer, when a researcher tried to store 50 mL
(about $2.00) worth of isopentane in a regular freezer, and the lid on the
container wasn't on tight enough. Fortunately, it was the middle of the
night, and no one was in the room. The freezer door flew 12 feet, and there
was lots of flames. See the photos!

The article mentions the damage at $165,000, but I talked with Robert about
a year later, and he said the total was over $1,000,000 when everything was
factored in.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Health System
Royal Oak, MI 48073

The opinions expressed are mine, and do not reflect on my place of
employment.