[Histonet] special stain reagents change

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Apr 15 07:05:35 CDT 2013

If your stains contains a guideline about how many slides can be stained with them, just follow those guidelines and I am sure you will be fine.
René J.

From: Sophia Lin <lins0701 <@t> gmail.com>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:47 PM
Subject: [Histonet] special stain reagents change

Coming from a large reference laboratory, it was crucial to change out
reagents for special stains every week since our workload was so heavy. Now
at a smaller GI lab, I am wondering if it is absolutely necessary to change
out the reagents so frequently? We have changed about 2-3 weeks depending
on the amount of slide volume (the kits say up to 300-500 slides- AMT
Kits). We were changing every week in the beginning, but one week our
reagents were delayed so we changed it out 2 weeks later, and have noticed
that the reagents still are "fresh" and the staining quality is not
compromised.  The alcohols, blueing, and xylene is changed every day.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Sophia