[Histonet] Re: Formalin Neutralizer

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 13:09:35 CDT 2013

I'm surprised that the dismal topic of formaldehyde neutralization never
seems to get settled.

I have a litre of 10% neutral buffered formalin. How many grams of sodium
sulfite (or bisulfite, or metabisulfite) do I have to weigh out and pour in
to neutralize it? What is the chemical reaction? Is ammonia also required?
and if so, I've got the same questions about ammonia.

Will the Herrn Inschpektors allow me to use generic chemicals, or do I have
to buy some expensive proprietary product in order to satisfy them?

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN