[Histonet] compression problems

Britton, Josette C JCBRITTON <@t> Cheshire-Med.COM
Thu Apr 11 12:08:07 CDT 2013

We had this happen to us before.  We had a bad lot of blades!

Josie Britton HT QIHC (ASCP)
Cheshire Medical Center
Keene, NH 03431

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Denise G
Crowley
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:12 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] compression problems

Hi all,

Has anyone experienced a problem with Paraplast Xtra over the last 3-4
months?  We are going crazy with compression problems and have tried all
the usual solutions (tightening all parts of microtome, changing angles,
changing blades, servicing microtome) and the problem persists.  This
involves all 4 of our microtomes to varying degrees and all types of
tissue.  The only commonality is the paraffin. The tissue itself does
not compress, but the paraffin around it looks like horizontal stripes.
We use Paraplast Xtra for both infiltrating and embedding.
Any suggestions?

Denise Crowley
Hope Babette Tang Histology Facility
Koch Center for Integrative Cancer Research
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
500 Main St. 76-182
Cambridge MA 02139
617-258-8183