[Histonet] compression problems

Denise G Crowley dencrowl <@t> MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 11 08:12:12 CDT 2013

Hi all,

Has anyone experienced a problem with Paraplast Xtra over the last 3-4 months?  We are going crazy with compression problems and have tried all the usual solutions (tightening all parts of microtome, changing angles, changing blades, servicing microtome) and the problem persists.  This involves all 4 of our microtomes to varying degrees and all types of tissue.  The only commonality is the paraffin. The tissue itself does not compress, but the paraffin around it looks like horizontal stripes.  We use Paraplast Xtra for both infiltrating and embedding.
Any suggestions?

Denise Crowley
Hope Babette Tang Histology Facility
Koch Center for Integrative Cancer Research
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
500 Main St. 76-182
Cambridge MA 02139
617-258-8183