[Histonet] Sectioning in sliding microtome issues

Maria Mejia mbmphoto <@t> gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 23:07:42 CDT 2013

Hello Maria,

Well, it's interesting that the Thermo HM 450 sliding microtome, looks very much like the Microm HM450 sliding microtome
that I used (A LOT) at UCSF.  You must be cutting (30um or 40um??) free-floating sections.
Questions:
> How thick (mm) are the frozen brain block?
> AND, are you cutting a whole brain from a non-human primate?
> Are you using a solid brass freezing stage - mounted to your sliding microtome?  The type with 2 small wells (1 in the front
   & 1 in the back).

If you're cutting a (whole) brain block - large or small, I would strongly recommend the use of Cryogel - which is the bomb!
I've used this stuff to cut excellent sections from 1mm to 9mm thick frozen brain blocks.  Switching to cryogel, will significantly
reduce your rate of loosing chunks of tissue at the end of the block because it supports like no other freezing resin. When you
use cryogel or OCT or any other freezing media, make sure there are NO air bubbles in the supporting media.

I would also check all the knobs on your sliding microtome & freezing stage - make sure that nothing is loose!  Equally important,
is maintaining consistent freezing temperature of the frozen brain block & of the supporting resin during sectioning.
Especially since the sliding microtome is not in a cold chamber like a cryostat.  So, if your cutting room is too warm - this warm environment
will dramatically affect your freezing temperature of tissue block & resin AND ultimately your cutting.

For this reason, I chose to use the Physitemp freezing stage - the freezing stages come in 3 sizes and at UCSF we used the larger one
- the BFS-30MP (4x4 inches square).  Here is the link;  http://www.physitemp.com/products/FreezingMicroTomes/bfs-mp.html
You'll need a water tank - link:  http://www.physitemp.com/products/accessories/ptu3.html

If you would like my freezing protocol, just let me know.

Regards
Maria Mejia
Affymetrix, Inc