[Histonet] Negative Controls in IHC

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Sun Sep 30 09:07:26 CDT 2012

Negative controls for IHC has been discussed before many times but it keeps pupping up every noew and then.
This is my take on it:
1- if CAP requires them, so then  do it. You do not want to have a negative issue in your inspection
2- it is always good to have them for quality control of your procedure and to prevent any legal issues down the road
3- if I have a case requiring several antibodies, I only run a negative control for the tissue series (the block in question) but not for every antibody but if in that antibodies series there are different detection systems, I run a negative control for each
René J.

________________________________
From: Ann Specian <thisisann <@t> aol.com>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2012 1:56 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Negative Controls in IHC

I have a question in regard to eliminating the use of negative controls when using a non-avidin-biotin detection system.

Do you not feel that negative controls may still need to be run in tissues which are likely to be pigmented such as lymph node, skin and liver?

We were thinking to eliminate the use of negatives for other tissues (cervical, GI, etc.) only.....What is the general consensus?