[Histonet] Re: Changing dynamics in histotechnology

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Tue Sep 18 13:10:07 CDT 2012

Thank you Gayle, I appreciate your comments. And no, I definately did not mean any disrespect to MT's now or ever. I know they work hard too, and they have the same hurdles in many ways. We all deserve more recognition.  I just wish all us laboratorians could unite and we would be a force to be reckoned with for sure.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC
 From: gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
To: Joyce.Weems <@t> emoryhealthcare.org; joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com; tjohnson <@t> gnf.org; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Re: Changing dynamics in histotechnology
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 12:00:31 -0600

RE: [Histonet] Re: Changing dynamics in histotechnology

Well, this honey has been on the same page since the EARLY 1960'S.  I crossed over from the MT side into histology and never looked back.   It was obvious very early on that histology was far more interesting than working as an MT, poor pay or otherwise.     Way back in the Dark Ages, our MT training included histology and the ASCP MT registry exam tested us on histology. Becoming an MT simply led to histology, and the MT training in clinical chemistry, microbiology, parasitology, virology, hematology, etc., enhanced our knowledge for working in histology.

Your (plural) discourses have been interesting, to the point and certainly no offense is taken about being an MT!

It is admirable when histotechnicians go above and beyond their jobs and take the time pass on their expertise to present workshops, teleconferences, presentations and writing articles with hopes the written word is actually being read.   Don't stop!  Ignore the critics, the complacent!   Educate!

Gayle M. Callis

MT, HT, HTL (ASCP)